Mould in Schools: a Caretaker's Job or Something to Take Professional Care Over?
Mould is very common in buildings, especially where damp is present. When it comes to winter months, schools, offices and homes can become overrun with mould, and depending on the type of mould, it could have a severe effect on your health.
For schools, the question is: do you rely on your caretaker to remove this mould? Or do you turn to the professionals to eradicate the mould? If you read on, hopefully, we can help you to make a decision...
What is Mould?
Mould is a type of fungi that are naturally occurring organisms, it grows best in damp and poorly ventilated areas, and reproduces by making spores.
Various types of mould are present virtually everywhere, indoors and outdoors and can grow in and on materials such as food, furniture, fabrics, carpets, walls, paper, timber and plumbing.
Mould thrives in damp and warm areas, making schools a great victim for mould growth.
How Dangerous is Mould?
Mould produces allergens, irritants and, sometimes, toxic substances. Inhaling or touching mould spores may cause an allergic reaction, such as sneezing, a runny nose, red eyes and skin rash.
Children that are exposed to mould spores at a young age could develop asthma, making it incredibly important to remove any signs of mould immediately in a school, to maintain good health of the pupils and the staff. Some mould spores are also toxic and can lead to a suppressed immune system, and a consequential increase in chest infections due to this.
Should You Call In The Mould Removal Professionals?
Unfortunately, no matter how hard your caretaker scrubs and uses a range of different cleaning products, mould spores will still remain, causing it to grow back over and over again, as you are only removing the surface mould.
Mould can be very stubborn, particularly in any soft furnishings and clothing, making it that little bit harder for your caretaker to ensure your school is completely free of that pesky mould. This is where we recommend calling in the professionals, especially in the case of Stachybotrys, or more commonly known as black mould, as it can severely damage your immune system.
Rainbow International offers a comprehensive mould detection and removal service for schools, offices, and homes across the UK. With over 60 branches located in the UK, you are bound to find one locally to you.
If you are interested in calling in the specialist mould busters, get in contact with one of our professionals today to see how we can help to eradicate the mould problem in your school!