Rainbow International are one of the UK's leading experts in diagnosing the causes of damp and condensation, which can lead to mould , combining a full diagnostic process with a plan for remedial action, along with a programme to eradicate the mould problem.
Insurers, homeowners, landlords and tenants can all benefit from the comprehensive service offered by Rainbow International, across the UK
Mould is classified as a category one risk to health, as assessed under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System 2000, which is the same class as asbestos. The Environmental Protection Act (1990) classifies mould as a statutory nuisance that must be treated.
The Rainbow system incorporates a 3 level process when considering Damp and Condensation issues in any property in the process of mould removal, and damp removal.
Prior to any survey we will carry out a full risk assessment including an assessment of ACM (Asbestos Containing Materials)
Rainbow's fully experienced technical team will then carry out a survey on the property, to identify possible causes of damp penetration and condensation inside the property. They check the following:
Condensation and damp can often lead to mould in a property, which is a major health hazard and can lead to loss of revenue for social housing providers and landlords.
General state of repair of the property - evidence of poor maintenance, often the source of water ingress and penetration into a property, including:-
- Brickwork, rendering & mortar
- Roof - condition of roof tiles or flat roofs
- Downpipes & guttering
- Flashing around chimney stacks and in adjoining elements
- Damp proof membrane - any evidence of missing, breached or faulty DPM
- Waste pipes
- Outside doors
- Window units (paying particular attention to double glazed units and any lack of ventilation)
- Air bricks - check for blockages
- Measurement of moisture, humidity and temperature in all building materials with hi-tech measurement equipment. This will confirm the conditions in the property as either damp and at risk of mould contamination, or dry and comfortable living conditions.
Internally the Rainbow technicians will check for visible damp conditions and evidence of mould contamination.
Damp and mould will often be concealed within the building structure - for example in cavities, under floorboards and behind skirting boards.
Wherever mould is evident, there is usually much more of it hidden within the building structure. We employ a wide range of sophisticated technical equipment to identify and analyse the contamination in these hidden areas, such as Endoscopes and Borescopes with attached inspection cameras which allow a detailed internal visual inspection in hard to access areas, without major disruption or damage to the building and its contents/décor.
Picture demonstrates moisture readings being taken which will determine the remedial action required.
Following the survey a full report will be issued to the landlord, homeowner, plumber or other instructing party, which will provide a complete analysis of the causes of damp and mould, and a course of remedial action will be proposed which will eradicate the problem, by getting rid of the mould. However, the damp that causes the mould also needs to be eradicated so our programme will also suggest ways of getting rid of the damp. Upon approval of the summary of works Rainbow will commence the treatment, which depending upon the nature and severity of the damp and mould will include the following treatments:
- Washing, spraying or fogging of the affected areas with an appropriate anti-microbial will sanitise the contaminated surfaces
- Removal of plaster and wood where contamination is severe or dry/wet rot has taken hold
- Air Manager - an air sterilisation unit which will kill all airborne spores released from mould infestation can be deployed if necessary
- Installation of drying equipment regime - a combination of dehumidifiers, airmovers & heaters will be deployed to ensure moisture and relative humidity levels are consistent with healthy living conditions
- Monitoring of drying regime - to guarantee suitable damp free conditions are maintained
- Installation of appropriate ventilation systems (if appropriate)
- Stripping out and replacing of units and building materials that have been affected beyond repair by the damp or mould
- Redecorating following cleaning and sanitisation
- Sign off/ handover - following treatment and drying of the property, a certificate will be issued which will confirm the home is conductive to a healthy living environment and is free from damp and mould
Concern about indoor exposure to mould has been increasing as the public become aware that exposure to mould can cause a variety of health effects and symptoms including allergic reactions
Mould is one of the major factors in the increase of asthma and other respiratory diseases in recent years and there is a renewed concentration by landlords to ensure that their tenants are not affected by these poor living conditions. Landlords and homeowners often underestimate the severity of mould and the degree of difficulty in diagnosing the causes of this extremely unhealthy condition.
The causes of the mould infestation need to be identified and corrected or the mould will return very quickly. Care also needs to be taken when removing mould from a property.
Simply cleaning with bleach and water will not kill all the mould, and will trigger the release of its spores, agitating the problem and promoting re-occurrence. Mould remediation requires removing the mould carefully and correctly to eliminate the spread of the spores, so that other rooms or locations around the problematic areas are not exposed. This often requires containing the mouldy materials and removing them from the structure.
Damp diagnosis and mould remediation should always be performed by trained professionals who understand the processes and procedures
for the successful elimination of the problem.
Rainbow International has many of these trained professionals within the nationwide network, who are fully trained in all aspects of damp diagnosis and mould remediation.
They will inspect your property and issue a full survey outlining the cause of the damp conditions and then propose a recommended course of action to eradicate the mould and the conditions in which it thrives.