Cleaning out air management systems is a legal requirement for businesses under the Health and Safety at Work legislation, so it’s worth making sure you are on top of it. Failure to undertake regular duct cleaning can put your staff and business at risk, with poor sickness levels one of the major contributors to downtime for any organisation. This is often the result of contaminated air circulation, which can cause Sick Building Syndrome, a recognised hazard for people and visitors working in a commercial environment.
It is estimated that over 30% of the buildings with ventilation systems are suffering some kind of indoor air pollution.
Studies have shown that in some buildings indoor pollution actually exceeds outdoor levels. Traditionally ventilations systems are cleaned for four main reasons:
• Concern for health
• Comply with regulations
• Reduce a possible fire hazard
• Maintain efficiency & reduce running cost
The duty to comply with the new Health & Safety Regulations concerning ventilation system maintenance and cleaning has been in force since January 1st 1996.
The Workplace (Health, Safety & Welfare) regulations 1999, sections 5 & 6, states that every confined space in which people spend their working time must be supplied with a sufficient quantity of fresh or purified air and where environments have mechanical forms of ventilators (such as ductwork) they must be maintained. Failure to comply with these directives means breach of regulations.
While it may be possible to carry out the cleaning task yourself, it is usually easier and more effective to hire a professional team to get the job done.
What can a professional ventilation duct cleaning company offer your business?
- Equipment. Cleaning air management systems is a complex task, often performed in hard to reach areas and often at height, so specialist equipment is usually needed. A professional cleaning firm will have all the tools required to get your ventilation system working at maximum efficiency, including scrapers, steam cleaners and degreasing agents.
- Expertise. A professional duct cleaning company will know the best ways to access your ventilation system and to get it thoroughly clean. They can cut access panels into the system as and where required and ensure a safe and thorough cleaning regime is effected. An experienced firm will carry out the cleaning work without causing damage to your ducts or to the rest of the premises. The team will also be able to carry out the work causing minimal disruption to the core workings of your business.
- Comprehensive advice. A specialist duct cleaning service will be able to advise you on how often your air management system needs to be cleaned, how long the process will take and the cost involved. They will arrange for an inspection at your premises and then explain the cleaning and maintenance service in full before the work is carried out. They can also provide a full regular service at interval commensurate with the legal obligations, and with levels of dust/dirt build up within the ducting systems.
Rainbow International are experts when it comes to cleaning air management systems. Our staff will ensure that your ducts are thoroughly cleaned and that your employees are protected from unclean air flow and the risk of an outbreak of fire in your ductwork systems.
Contact us to find out more about our specialist [ventilation duct cleaning] service.