We all hope that we’ll never be affected by a fire or flood. However, often when it happens, it takes the homeowner by surprise.
And when you have water pouring under your doors and up through your toilet, you don’t want to be dashing around trying to find essential paperwork.
The good news is, there are a few things you can do now to make it as easy as possible to effect a clean-up in the aftermath of a fire or flood.
- Keep your insurance policy details, contact numbers and certificates to hand. Choose a bold colour file and label it clearly.
- Add details of your preferred fire damage remediation and flood damage remediation company. You can reach Rainbow 24/7 365 days of the year on their emergency line 01623 422488, so keep this number to hand, in case you should need to call in a fire or flood remediation company as a matter of urgency.
- Check your home insurance to establish what the single item limit is.
If you own items that exceed that limit, either arrange for them to be named on the insurance if they are covered, or seek out separate insurance for those particular items. This will help you avoid any unpleasant surprises when your insurance company refuses to pay out for your watch collection, or your racing bike.
- Keep the receipts for any expensive or key items in your home. Many receipts are now delivered by email, in which case save them to the cloud, so you can access them whenever you need them, wherever you are.
- Keep paper receipts in a file or folder so that you can evidence your purchases and the cost of these purchases to your insurance provider in the event of making a claim.
Some insurance companies will have a flood damage restoration company that they recommend.
Rainbow International is recommended by many insurance companies, and we’ve worked with many more to help homeowners get back into their homes quickly after a flood or an escape of water.
If you have a preferred fire damage or flood damage remediation team you’d like to use to help you get your home or workplace back into a serviceable condition, you can always ask. More often than not, if you want to use an established professional flood damage restoration company, your home insurance company will usually be happy for you to choose your flood remediation team.
And with more than 65 branches of Rainbow across the UK, we’re bound to have a branch near you. You can find your nearest branch on our website, or give us a call on our 24/7 helpline 01623 422 488, 365 days of the year.